[ExI] USA interstate migration

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 16:56:24 UTC 2023

On Wed, 1 Feb 2023 at 06:54, Will Steinberg via extropy-chat

> Sorry to be a doomer but man, that whole covid thing really fucked everyone up.  I desperately hope we can have a few years of the good times again.  Heck maybe it's just this damn country and I need to move somewhere else.  To where I don't know.  Mexico seems nice

Have a think about US interstate migration.
The numbers seem to say that the top losers are California, New York
and Illinois. The top winners are Texas, Florida and N and S Carolina.

<https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/features/states-move-to-from/>
10 States People Are Fleeing And 10 States People Are Moving To
By Deane Biermeier , Samantha Allen  Contributor, Editor  Updated: Jan 23, 2023

The reasons for moving seem to be mixed. Boomers retiring to the
sunbelt, inflation making people look for a cheaper cost of living,
better weather, remote working meaning that people can look for
cheaper housing, lower taxation, etc.

The COVID rules were different between states and changed at different
times, which made things difficult for interstate travellers. So you
may find some states more agreeable than others. But you would also
need to check whether less restrictive COVID rules led to increased
sickness and death rates.