[ExI] People are using ChatGPT wrong

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:27:11 UTC 2023

On Mon, 13 Feb 2023 at 05:53, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Have we anyone here who is up to speed or has expertise on Modern Monetary Theory?  I have looked into various sources and haven’t found an answer to a question I eventually posed to ChatGPT.  It didn’t really answer.  Here’s the question:

<snip>

> spike

ChatGPT isn't an all-knowing Oracle. It just makes stuff up.

<https://www.grid.news/story/technology/2023/01/18/what-generative-ai-like-chatgpt-gets-right-and-wrong/>

Quotes:
What generative AI like ChatGPT gets right — and wrong
How to separate hype from hope around tech’s next big thing.
Benjamin Powers   January 18, 2023

Generative AI models are very good at very specific tasks — but they
are not one-size-fits-all tools. For example, ChatGPT can create
lovely sonnets about tectonic plates, but it struggles to write an
up-to-date explanation of what plate tectonics is. It also has trouble
generating accurate code or understanding context around current
events given that GPT-3, the large language model it was trained on,
stopped gathering data in 2021, and it can be biased.

Where generative AI can shine is more general tasks that may not end
up the way you thought — writing form emails, drafting a philosophical
essay or creating cover art for an album. Sometimes, how convincing it
can be is a detriment. One recent paper found that AI-written
abstracts of fake scientific papers managed to fool real scientists,
who couldn’t tell they were written by AI.

But although generative AI is good at generating new content, it often
struggles to incorporate current context around data sets it was
trained on. “ChatGPT is great but it doesn’t have a 2nd level of
reference (can’t google stuff) or doesn’t have the context of a
question (3rd level of reference),” venture capitalist Nick Davidov
tweeted recently.

For the moment, if you want factual search answers to a question, use
DuckDuckGo.

BillK