[ExI] (no subject)

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 21:27:20 UTC 2023

On Tue, 14 Feb 2023 at 18:21, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat

> puzzle:
>
> Imagine a graph with a normal curve exhibited.  Now imagine a curve on the same graph that is platykurtic:  higher frequencies at both the top and the bottom end.  Fewer near average.
> Given that what is being measured is an ability, will the group with the non-normal curve eventually outdo the normal curve group, which it does not now do?
>
> bill w

I think it might depend on what ability or trait you are measuring.
e.g. if it was intelligence, the platykurtic group would have more at
the top and bottom IQ level and a wider spread at a lower middle IQ
level.
So with more geniuses available, this group might outdo the mesokurtic
(normal) group.
If the group ability is not dependent on having more top performers,
but rather a greater number of better mid-level performers, then the normal
distribution group might be the best.

See: <https://www.simplypsychology.org/kurtosis.html>
What is Kurtosis?
By Dr. Saul McLeod, 2019