[ExI] The American Doorway

Max More max at maxmore.com
Fri Feb 17 02:35:09 UTC 2023

I'm not sure how holding the door open is defending the Constitution (any more than any other freely chosen action) but I don't think you are an asshole. Your preference is a reasonable one.

My own approach is to usually hold the door open for someone -- but not to block the way in the manner you mentioned. If the doorway is narrow, I either stand inside and aside or I hold it outside positioning myself so as not to be in the path. I don't always hold doors open. If the person behind me is more than a very short time behind, I will not (although it's possible to misjudge this if someone is moving unsually quickly or slowly). If they are several seconds behind, it's wasting my time and may well make the other person feel like they should hurry. I don't like it when that happens to me.

--Max