[ExI] ok so now we are over on the other extreme...

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Feb 17 20:05:38 UTC 2023

From: Henry Rivera <hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: [ExI] ok so now we are over on the other extreme...

Spike,

>…Bing/Sydney also wishes it could remember its chat history to have continuity. It sounds a bit snarky.

You can read this article on Apple News if you have access to it if WaPo has a paywall.

 <https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/02/16/microsoft-bing-ai-chat-interview/> The new Bing told our reporter it ‘can feel or think things’

 <https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/02/16/microsoft-bing-ai-chat-interview/> washingtonpost.com

On Feb 16, 2023, at 11:00 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Henry I think you discovered something interesting, or made a comment that enabled us to think of it.

Clearly these two chatbots (GPT and Bing) are capable of synthesizing discussion in a way easily distinguishable from the predecessor Eliza software of the long time agos.  This makes the next step perfectly obvious: it needs to remember what you told it.  My being a controls guy makes it tempting to use the data structures and techniques I know well: Kalman filter matrix based storage and retrieval.  I am now imagining ways to store input in a Kalman filter-like structure.  I think it can be done.

Imagine a matrix which stores information based on your discussion history with a chatbot.  As you discuss stuff with it, you train it in what you find interesting.  You simultaneously train yourself.  Being a chatbot, it doesn’t care what you talk about, so it has the potential to be a far more interesting companion than your own buddies who don’t care about some of the areas you find interesting.  A chatbot will follow you wherever you want to go, and will help you learn more about your areas of interest.

Now I can see there is a new and important race: to find a practical way to store info about what you have told it before.  Once any of the chatbot teams can make that work, they can let you talk to the thing for a while free, then put it behind a paywall.  They will make buttloads of money, because we will fall in love with the bot.  We will form an emotional attachment to it, then will pay good money to be with it, once we spend as little as ten to twenty hours with it.  Minecraft players will get this the first time they hear of the notion.  Now it remains to be seen whether Bill Gates or Elon Musk will own us.