[ExI] gpt as a language teacher

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Feb 18 19:14:06 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] gpt as a language teacher

On Sat, 18 Feb 2023 at 18:46, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> I can see that ChatGPT is quite competent at creating grammatically
> correct sentences and uses good vocabulary.  You can even get it to
> respond in dialect of sorts, such as by asking it to use Scottish
> terms or in the style of a 30s mob boss or 50s hipster for instance
> (it’s a hoot!)
>
> OK then, does ChatGPT have a Spanish language version?  Does it work well?  It occurred to me that ChatGPT could become the most effective language teacher available.
>
> spike

>...Not really much need to learn languages these days.
There are many translation apps available for smartphones.
Google Translate lets two people with phones speak in their own language to each other and get instant translations.

BillK

Agreed BillK, and I have been using them to communicate with some scout parents who speak very little English.  They are Mandarin speakers.  The phones don't work well between Mandarin and English, but it can be used to some extent.

Where I was going with it is this: many of us dual-purpose our time by making personal phone calls while we are out and about doing errands.  So what if... we could use that time to pick up another language, but specifically talk about areas that interest us?  I don't know or care about sports, Hollywood stars, none of the usual nonsense that preoccupies and distracts modern society from stuff that matters, but I would like to learn another language while talking about something interesting.  I choose German.