[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Feb 20 16:08:43 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Jason Resch via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 2:28 AM Giulio Prisco via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

>…Turing Church newsletter. More thoughts on sentient computers. Perhaps
digital computers can be sentient after all, with their own type of
consciousness and free will.
https://www.turingchurch.com/p/more-thoughts-on-sentient-computers

>…Hi Giulio,

>…Very nice article.

>…I would say the Turing Test sits at the limits of empirical testability in the problem of Other Minds… Jason

In set theory, a field of mathematics, they made enormous strides only after they figured out there were different classes of sets.  For instance, the class of sets which contains sets differs from the class of sets which do not contain sets.

In AI, we might recognize there are different kinds or classes of sentience.  The Turing test indicates only one class of sentience (he said, as we now have software passing the Turing test regularly (demonstrating our collective desperate determination to move the AI goal posts again.))

With every advance in AI, it is clearer what we need as a next step.  We now need a chatbot which can learn and remember what we told it last time, a trainable AI.  We need that next.  Once we get that, you and I can get two identical copies, you train yours for a week or two, I train mine, then we switch, each training the other feller’s chatbot.  Then… we let those two debate and train each other.