[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:31:10 UTC 2023

On Mon, 20 Feb 2023 at 17:10, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Vanderbilt University sent out a mass email to the students following a
> shooting at Michigan State University composed by ChatGPT.  They were
> caught, and the administrators who did it are apologizing:
>
> https://peabody.vanderbilt.edu/statement.php
>
> Why should they apologize?  If ChatGPT can compose a good letter of
> encouragement after a tragedy, why not use it?  It’s a resource, and college
> students are taught to use all available resources, ja?  I don’t see any
> need for apology, and I don’t see any need for the office of whoever
> previously was in charge of composing letters of encouragement and comfort
> after a campus shooting.  Just use ChatGPT for that, ja?
>
> spike

Most writers now use various computer writing aids.
Spellcheck, obviously. But some aids, like Grammarly, may also make
style suggestions.
>From Wikipedia:
Grammarly reviews spelling, grammar, punctuation, clarity, engagement,
and delivery mistakes in English texts, detects plagiarism, and
suggests replacements for the identified errors. It also allows users
to customize their style, tone, and context-specific language.

Providing that the ChatGPT is checked by at least two different
humans, I don't see any problem there.
(One proofreader often misses something that a second reader might
catch. Proofreading is pretty boring)  :)

And I won't mention the errors in this post that my software corrected!

BillK