[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Tue Feb 21 15:48:15 UTC 2023

I agree, Spike. One thing ChatGPT is good at is conciliatory language. Sometimes this is annoying, but given circumstances here, it's exactly on point, isn't it?

I think people see tools like this as competition instead of what it really is, a new form of the Extended Mind.

People who were angry that the letter was not written by a human saw that human as delegating the task to someone else, like a boss who tells his secretary to write a love letter to his wife. If instead, people realized that ChatGPT was just a tool, they wouldn't be any more offended by someone using than if the letter were composed on a computer using Microsoft Word instead of handwritten with a quill.

Tara Maya