[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:04:30 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 10:56 PM Tara Maya via extropy-chat <

> Yes, I forgot to add that consciousness and life itself must also be
> self-directed, that is, its actions must lead to its survival and
> reproduction. Right now, I don't see ChatGPT as anymore self-directed than
> a sword or a typewriter. It's an extension of the human mind directing it.
> Yes, it has a delightful sense of "originality" as if it's inventing
> things, but right now, this is more like dealing a deck of Tarot cards to
> get new ideas. The main recursivity is still human-(machine extended) to
> human-(machine extended). Spike if you and I both trained our own Chats to
> argue against each other, they'd both be extensions of our minds wouldn't
> they?
>
> We would have mega minds but I don't think this would lead Chats to be
> independent anymore than wings are independent of birds. Am I missing
> something?

I created some AI bots that seem to meet all these criteria: they evolve,
reproduce, are subject to darwinian evolution, and strive to survive. They
are directed towards food and away from poison, they have neural network
brains with networks neurons, connections, and weights, with feedback loops
and recursion (as the last output of the network is fed in as input in the
next iteration), and so they appear to meet all the basic criteria
mentioned thus far to be consciousness.

https://github.com/jasonkresch/bots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBsqlWQTts&list=PLq_mdJjNRPT11IF4NFyLcIWJ1C0Z3hTAX&index=2

Do they have consciousness? Why or why not?

I have been asking myself this question.

Jason