[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Feb 23 18:22:57 UTC 2023

From: Jason Resch <jasonresch at gmail.com>

EXCELLENT!  We all have idle compute cycles currently being wasted.  So we set up a big collaborative system analogous to Prime95, sell our unused cycles, buy other people’s unused cycles, have everybody leave their computers on all the time.  A third of the planet is sleeping at any one time, so there you have plenty of available background computation available, otherwise wasted.

Gadersd, did we finally find after 30 years, a practical use for unused CPU cycles?

https://www.sjeng.org/leela.html

>…Jason

Ja, and this is exactly on point Jason: we have used background computing for all this goofy stuff, doing chess opening research by absolute brute force, the example you gave: go AI, for SETI, for Prime95, and even I (as much of a math geek and SETI fan as I am) recognize these are cool but wasteful uses of background computing.

I don’t understand how ChatGPT works, but I think I am hearing that it requires massive computing cycles and memory.  Memory is cheap, and massive computing cycles are unused, available for whoever organizes a way to use them.  Buttloads will be made by whoever does it first and best.