[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Feb 24 20:48:41 UTC 2023

On 24/02/2023 19:15, Adrian Tymes wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2023, 8:06 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
>
>     If Big Dog (or whatever the latest iteration of it is called) had
>     ChatGPT in its head, as well as all the other stuff it already
>     has, would it be able to build a canoe and use it to escape from a
>     forest fire, decide where it was safe to stop, and built a hut?
>     That would be an interesting experiment.
>

> Obviously it would not, unless Big Dog without ChatGPT was already
> capable of that.  ChatGPT is a text parser: it has no input on 3D
> representations of objects, let alone performing any physical action
> (as distinct from making text that might describe physical actions).

Ah, that's interesting. I would have thought it could do reasoning about
3d objects and various real-life situations, based on what I've read
about it here (never used it myself). My thinking was that the Big Dog
robot would have the ability to actually manipulate objects, sense the
world, and move, and the Chatbot would be able to tell it what to do,
with a feedback and translation mechanism between the two that looks to
the Chatbot like someone typing questions, and to the robot like a set
of high-level instructions on moving about and manipulating things.

So your reply suggests another interesting experiment: Ask ChatGPT
questions about 3D objects in the real world, and how they should
behave. See if it can predict that a moving object that passes behind a
larger object will reappear after a while, what things will look like
when rotated, that sort of thing.

Ben