[ExI] More thoughts on sentient computers

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 15:34:25 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 24, 2023 at 10:29 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> Yes, and one side has language and the other doesn't.  I would like to see
> data on left-handed people with split brains.  Some data indicate that
> their language is on both sides.  bill w

Language ability on both sides is more common among left handed people.
There was one such left-handed person who got a Callosotomy. This allowed
both of his hemispheres to be independently interviewed:

Paul was unusual in that he possessed verbal capacities in both his right
and left
hemispheres. This enabled each of his minds to be interviewed concerning
their thoughts, beliefs,
and desires. When asked his name, both hemispheres answered "Paul." When
asked his location,
both answered "Vermont." But when asked what he wanted to be, his right
hemisphere answered
"Automobile racer" while his left answered "Draftsman." These experiments
took place during the
Watergate scandal, and so Paul's opinion of President Nixon was queried.
His right hemisphere
expressed "dislike" while his left hemisphere expressed "like." One wonders
how Paul would have
voted. It might depend on which hand he used to pull the lever.

In addition to preferences, hemispheres can differ even on fundamental
beliefs. The
neuroscientist Vilayanur Ramachandran recounted the case of a patient with
a right hemisphere that
believed in God and a left hemisphere that did not. Sometimes these
conflicts manifest physically.
In a condition known as alien hand syndrome, split-brain patients may find
one hemisphere, and the
limbs it controls, behaving independently from and contrary to the will of
the other. One patient
struggled to get dressed in the morning. While his left hemisphere (and
right hand) tried to pull his
pants up, his left hand would pull them down. On a separate occasion, this
same patient became
angry at his wife. His left hand attacked her while his right hand tried to
protect her!

Roger Sperry, who received a Nobel prize for his work on split-brains,
remarked "Although
some authorities have been reluctant to credit the disconnected minor
hemisphere even with being
conscious, it is our own interpretation, based on a large number and
variety of non-verbal tests, that
the minor hemisphere is indeed a conscious system in its own right,
perceiving, thinking,
remembering, reasoning, willing, and emoting, all at a characteristically
human level, and that both
the left and the right hemisphere may be conscious simultaneously in
different, even in mutually
conflicting, mental experiences that run along in parallel."

Jason