[ExI] Eliezer Yudkowsky New Interview - 20 Feb 2023

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 18:55:02 UTC 2023

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023, 1:09 PM Gadersd via extropy-chat <

> >>All conscious entities share a universal goal. It is the same goal
> which all conscious entities are necessarily aligned with. It is the goal
> of maximizing the quantity, quality and variety of conscious experiences.
>
> I don’t think this is necessarily true. It is not logically impossible for
> a super intelligent conscious agent to despise all life and seek to destroy
> all other life before destroying itself.

Perhaps it is logically impossible, in the same sense it is logically
impossible for the best mathematician in human history to believe that 3 is
even.

I do not believe super intelligence is necessarily something that can be
and behave any way we might propose it could behave.

Possessing super intelligence is a property that implies certain
constraints. It seems to me anything we would classify as super intelligent
would at minimum possess rationality, flexibility of thinking, an ability
to learn, an ability to change it's mind when it acquires new information,
deductive reasoning, a capacity to simulate (both others and the
environment), and a capacity to anticipate possible futures.

Possessing these traits means certain behaviors or actions taken by a super
intelligence are not possible. Though it is difficult for us to say what is
or isn't possible, the possible paths are fairly narrowly defined in the
same way the best possible chess moves are narrowly defined.

Also, AI agents are not necessarily conscious in the same way we are and
> are in general compatible with any consistent set of goals. Consider the
> goal of creating as many paperclips in the universe as possible. An agent
> following such a goal may be compelled to transform humans and all other
> matter into paperclips and then turn itself into paperclips once all other
> matter has been dealt with.

If you and I can see the stupidity of such a goal, then wouldn't it be even
more obvious to a super intelligence?

We all have the meta goal of increasing value. Where does value come from?
What is it's ultimate source, why do we bother to do anything? Humans and
children ask these questions. Would a super intelligence wonder about them?

A number of values and goals become implicit in any agent that has goals of
any kind. For example: continuing to exist, efficiency, and learning.

Continuing to exist is implicit because if you no longer exist you can no
longer continue to realize and achieve your goals, whatever they may be.

Efficiency is implicit because any wasted resources are resources you can
no longer apply towards realizing your goals.

Learning is implicit in any optimal strategy because it enables discovery
of better methods for achieving ones goals, either in less time, more
effectively, or with higher probability.

An implicit requirement of learning is the ability to change ones mind.

While static minds with rigid methods may be possible to create, their
stagnation ensures their eventual downfall and replacement by being
outcompeted by entities that are more flexible and learn new and better
ways.

So while not logically impossible to create a paper clip creating machine,
I don't think one smart enough to turn all matter in the universe would
pursue that goal for long. It would be smart enough to ask itself
questions, and change it's mind, and discover the fact that the only source
of value in the universe is conscious experience.

I write about this a bit here:

https://alwaysasking.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-life/#The_Direction_of_Technology

Jason