[ExI] Peer review reviewed

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Sat Jan 7 18:16:17 UTC 2023

On Saturday, January 7th, 2023 at 11:52 AM, William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> Montessori - learn what you want to at your own rate. Friend of mine went to a school like that to the third grade. Moved to Oklahoma and had to be put back in the first grade - could not read or write - but boy could he fingerpaint.

Children can't be expected to know what they need to learn. Reading and writing are mandatory skills: learning them should never be optional.

> Motivation needs a place to go - to aim your efforts at. What if someone wasn't interested in anything a school had to offer? Both of my sons were like that.

Public school aims at the least common denominator. That ensures that critical skills are taught, but also ensures that intelligent, self-motivated students will be bored to tears. Obviously, different students need different teaching approaches.

-Dave