[ExI] [Extropolis] red

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Jan 21 17:20:22 UTC 2023

On 21/01/2023 13:28, Brent wrote:

> Yes exactly.
> The conscious visual knowledge rendered from one eye uses glutamate,
> and the knowledge rendered from the other eye is rendered with
> something slightly different.
>

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 3:17 PM William Flynn Wallace
> <foozler83 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Also from Jong:  "Suzanne Kane studies vision in peacocks; she has
>     a slight difference in her color vision in each eye, so that one
>     gives her a slightly reddish tint."
>
>     Explain that with glutamate, will you?   bill w

I think conventional, established neuroscience can probably do that.

Of course, the 'with glutamate' part is a bit of a red herring, as we
know that any other neurotransmitter would do just as well, being simply
a way for one neuron to give its neighbour neurons a nudge.

(Actually, thinking about it, it's probably not a neurological thing at
all. The most likely explanation is going to be that the cornea or lens
of one eye is acting as a colour filter).

Back to William of Ockham!

Ben