[ExI] surprise invention

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Jan 27 18:29:59 UTC 2023

This is not entirely accurate. Alexander the Great used his cavalry
and his phalanxes as a hammer and anvil to take over most of his world
without stirrups. People can fight from horseback without stirrups,
just not as effectively. The main value of the stirrup was that it
allowed for Heavy Cavalry so that during a charge a rider with a spear
or lance could put not just their own weight behind the stab but the
weight and momentum of the horse also. It basically allowed for
cataphracts that evolved into armored knights of the medieval period.
It also allowed for riders to fight more effectively from the saddle
after the initial charge, and among other innovations in warfare
allowed the Mongols to amass the largest land empire in the history of
the world.

Stuart LaForge