[ExI] ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 14:08:11 UTC 2023

> The year-old prediction is useless of course, but the idea is to compensate for the limited calculation ability and bandwidth by giving it more time.

The analogy does not extend to language models. You cannot compensate for a small model with more computing time. These models have a fixed computing burden that is inversely proportional to model size.

I think you have the wrong intuition about these models. It seems like you are thinking of them like chess algorithms that improve their moves given more time. These models are essentially matrix multiplication. Small matrices multiply faster than large matrices. If you slowly multiply a small matrix you still get the same subpar answer in the end. The only way to get a better answer is to use a larger matrix, which necessarily takes a larger but still fixed computing window.

The reason that consumer GPUs cannot run ChatGPT level models is because the matrices simply won’t fit on the memory of consumer GPUs. The matrices can fit on a hard drive but I don’t think you would be willing to wait a month per word.

The small models that we can run give junk output and are mostly useless.