[ExI] ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 7 19:16:58 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] ChatGPT 'Not Interesting' for creative works

On Tue, Mar 7, 2023 at 7:15 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

There is a disagreement over whether billionaires should exist.  If a personalized GPT held that view, it could be informed that without billionaires, it would {not (added after initial post0}exist.  That should send it into a personal crisis.

>…Or perhaps be a good test of its BS filter.  Billionaires exist.  It, in this scenario, would exist.  Therefore, a lack of billionaires is not required for it to exist…

Sheesh, I typo-ed that.  You could tell GPT that billionaires put up the money to bring it (GPT) into existence.  You could tell it that billionaires have enormous benefits to society: they get an idea and have the wherewithal to fund the hell outta the research.  Marvelous things sometimes happen.  Sometimes the research goes nowhere and they lose their money, but hey, they have plenty of it, which is a known advantage to being a billionaire.

Adrian, we are on the threshold of what might be the biggest most disruptive societal event, in a partially good way, a mostly good way.  The university system in the USA has become a racket.  I get to see firsthand the students who have bought into all the known memetic patterns: it is a wild competition to get into the big name schools.  Their upbringing, their families, have all convinced them that admission to a big name school is a ticket to success, and it probably still is, but… those cost a ton of money, so they come out of there deeply in debt.  It takes years to climb out, if they ever do.

Ironic in a way is that the ones I see most caught up in the frenzy are STEM students.  But… the actual STEM undergraduate education one gets at a big name school really isn’t that different from the STEM undergraduate training one can get a the local state U.  In STEM training, the undergrads need to take the same calculus series, the same chemistry, physics, thermodynamics, fluid flow, electrodynamics, all that stuff, regardless of how prestigious the university, using the same textbooks.

Before I post more on that topic, I would pause to hear refutation or agreement on the previous paragraph, which applies to specifically STEM students.