[ExI] DuckDuckGo is adding AI to search results

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 17:58:23 UTC 2023

DuckDuckGo launches DuckAssist: a new feature that generates natural
language answers to search queries using Wikipedia      8 Mar 2023

<https://spreadprivacy.com/duckassist-launch/>
Quotes:
DuckAssist is the first in a series of AI-assisted private search and
browser updates. It's free (with no sign-up required!) and available
to try today in DuckDuckGo browsers and extensions.‌‌

Today, we’re giving all users of DuckDuckGo’s browsing apps and
browser extensions the first public look at DuckAssist, a new beta
Instant Answer in our search results. If you enter a question that can
be answered by Wikipedia into our search box, DuckAssist may appear
and use AI natural language technology to anonymously generate a
brief, sourced summary of what it finds in Wikipedia — right above our
regular private search results. It’s completely free and private
itself, with no sign-up required, and it’s available right now.

For this initial trial, DuckAssist is most likely to appear in our
search results when users search for questions that have
straightforward answers in Wikipedia.

As a result, you shouldn’t expect to see DuckAssist on many of your
searches yet. But the combination of generative AI and Wikipedia in
DuckAssist means we can vastly increase the number of Instant Answers
we can provide, and when it does pop up, it will likely help you find
the information you want faster than ever.