[ExI] Existential risk of AI

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 14 17:08:27 UTC 2023

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] Existential risk of AI

On Tue, 14 Mar 2023 at 15:08, spike jones via extropy-chat

<snip>

>>... My notion is that long before that happens, we will discover better
> ways to train software than our current method, which involves writing
> actual software.  We will develop a kind of macro language for writing
> higher level software.
>
> spike

>...So, you think the benefits of developing AI is worth the risk because,
either we will stop development before AGI is reached, or if AGI is created,
we will have new programming methods that will enable humans to keep AGI
under control...

Oy vey, ja now that you state it that way, I realize my own comment sounds a
bit Fauci-like.  I repent!  I am not The Science! Don't follow me please.  I
am not even The Technology

>...I think that scenario is unlikely.
Humans won't stop AI development at lower levels.
Why? Because AI is now regarded as a military weapon to support control over
weaker nations... BillK

BillK, that is only part of it.  AI isn't just military weapon, it is an
economic nuke.  We have one guy who owns 300 billion dollars, who owns
electric car factories all over the globe, lithium battery factories,
rockets, all that cool stuff, plus... he is one of the co-investors who
developed ChatGPT, so he owns that.  Of course the US government is going to
make sure nothing bad happens to that goose that lays the golden eggs,
because he pays more in income tax than anyone in history.

OK so Musk and friends own a tool that has the potential to allow most
businesses to run with half their previous staffing levels, and an American
guy co-owns it.  I think most of the developers and investors are US-ian.
It's a capitalist tool, I tells ya!  ChatGPT is a capitalist tool!