[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 12:25:34 UTC 2023

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 04:10, spike jones via extropy-chat
> Perhaps history will record 2023 as the year singularity thinking truly went mainstream.
> spike

Is language even necessary for consciousness?

We all know that chimpanzees, corvids and parrots can do problem
solving and teach others the solutions.
Do they have low-level consciousness?

But insects?.......
Bumblebees can learn to solve simple puzzles by watching more
experienced peers. Young trainee honeybees learn to perform their
trademark "waggle dance" to tell other bees in their colony where to
find food by watching experienced bees. Different honeybee colonies
have different waggle dance languages.

<https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/03/bees-learn-to-dance-and-to-solve-puzzles-from-their-peers/>
Quote:
Social insects like bees demonstrate a remarkable range of behaviors,
from working together to build structurally complex nests (complete
with built-in climate control) to the pragmatic division of labor
within their communities.