[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Dave S snapbag at proton.me
Sun Mar 19 20:08:38 UTC 2023

On Sunday, March 19th, 2023 at 2:01 PM, Jason Resch via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> [...] But I also think we cannot rule out at this time the possibility that we have already engineered conscious machines. Without an established and agreed upon theory of consciousness or philosophy of mind, we cannot even agree on whether or not a thermostat is conscious.

I think that rabbit hole that isn't going to yield much of use since there's no way an entity can determine whether or not another entity is conscious,

> Where does our own volition and initiative come from? Is it not already programmed into us by our DNA?

The mechanisms are in our DNA. Some of it is hormone-driven like hunger, sex drive, etc. Some of it comes from our thoughts and experiences. We try a food we like a lot and we'll seek it out again.

> And is our own DNA programming that different in principle from the programming of a self-driving car to seek to drive to a particular destination?

Yes. We decide when and where to go. Self-driving cars don't just go on random joy rides. They don't have initiative and they don't experience joy.

-Dave