[ExI] LLMs cannot be conscious

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:23:58 UTC 2023

Dictionaries do not actually contain or know the meanings of words, and I
see no reason to think LLMs are any different.-gts

As John would say:  we have to have examples to really understand meaning,
 But the words we are talking about are abstractions without any clear
objective referent, so we and the AIs and the dictionary are reduced to
synonyms for 'meaning' and 'understanding' etc.  In science we use
operational definitions to try to solve this problem.  bill w

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 1:05 AM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <