[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 18:53:24 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:55 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:06 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <
>
>> 1. Every known physical law is computable.
>>
>> 2. It follows then that universe as we know it could be run as a giant
>> computer simulation.
>>

> Not quite.  We know that there are some things that do not quite run
> according to 100% completely identified physical laws.  For example, we do
> not yet know how to compute the exact timing of decay of an individual
> subatomic particle; we know the approximate time ranges and probabilities,
> but these are qualities of large sets of particles, not precise predictions
> for sets of one particle.

The reason we can't give a definite time is because all possibilities are
realized in the evolution of the wave function. The wave function is
deterministic, knowing what section of it we will find ourselves in is not.

> While it is possible that further exploration will find these things to be
> computable physical laws too, there is as yet room enough for the
> possibility of uncomputable physical laws to fill in these corners.

It's possible we will find uncomputable laws in the future, but we haven't
yet. In any case, the known physical laws are considered sufficient to
accurately simulate the brain (which is enough for my point to stand).

Jason