[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 18:17:34 UTC 2023

On Wed, Mar 22, 2023 at 12:01 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:28 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <
>
>> What is a QUALITY????
>>

> A subjective little pile of interpretations.
>
> *sips from glass before tossing it aside*

This answer reveals the key lack of understanding of definitions, causing
all the confusion in this conversation.

All the supporters of RQT
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia>,
People that write papers talking about an "explanatory gaps", a "hard
problems" and people asking questions like "what is it like to be a bat"
and "What did black and white color scientists mary learn" are all trying
to point out that "A subjective little pile of interpretations"  is the
opposite of what a quality is.

We all learned a bunch of facts and names about color in elementary
school.  All these facts were correct, except for one.

We learned that the physical quality of a ripe strawberry is 'red'.  The
color property of a leaf is 'green'.
We learned that the reason the strawberry reflects 750 nm (red) light is
because the quality property of the strawberry is red.
We learned that the only way to define a word like 'red' is to point to
that particular physical property and say: "THAT is red."

All these facts are correct, except that a redness quality is not a quality
of the strawberry, it is a physical quality property of our knowledge of
the strawberry.
Redness is the final physical result of the perception process, it is not
the initial physical cause.
It is a physical quality of something in our brain.  Something in our brain
is behaving the way it does, because of its redness quality.
Objectively "seeing" or "detecting" the behavior of whatever this is tells
us nothing of what that quality is like.
Again, the only way to communicate what a quality is like, is to point to
something that has that property and say: "THAT is redness"
"red" is a very different property than "redness".  "Red" is the label for
something that reflects or emits 'red' light.  "Redness is a quality of
something which your brain uses to represent knowledge of red things with.

Let's assume that the neurotransmitter glutamate has a colorness quality
you have never experienced before.  In other words, the reason it behaves
the way it does in a synapse, is because of its grue quality.
You (and black and white marry) can learn everything about glutamat.  You
can accurately describe everything about it's behavior in a synapse, and so
on.  But, untill you computationally bind that glutamate into your
consciousness, and dirrectly aprehend the q