[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 22:28:55 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 3:52 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> It understands far more than syntax. It understands facts about the world,
> geography, physics, math, computer programming, chemistry, biology, and
> mental development of humans.
>
> The test of understanding is checking if it can deploy it's knowledge in
> new situations to solve new problems. If it can do that, then it
> understands. Based on exchanges I have seen, I believe it can.

I think what you really mean is that it generates strings of text that
*you* understand and find useful and meaningful.

According to my wristwatch, it is 4:30 PM. That is useful and meaningful.
But does my watch really know what time it is? No, it is 4:30 PM according
to me using my mindless watch as a tool.

-gts