[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 22:43:45 UTC 2023

To do the octopus experiment with ChatGPT, one must first prompt it to
write only about the things an octopus under the sea would know. I
specifically told it that it had never heard of bears or sticks or land,
and then asked it for advice as I am being attacked by a bear. Predictably,
it had no advice

The point of the octopus in Bender's thought experiment is that it has no
connection to the actual world in which we have referents for our words.
The island represents the actual world.

-gtsl