[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 01:40:16 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 7:16 PM Giovanni Santostasi <gsantostasi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Gordon,
> Basically what Bender is saying is "if the training of a NLM is limited
> then the NLM would not know what certain words mean".

No, that is not what she is saying, though seeing as how people are
misunderstanding her thought experiment, I must agree the experiment is not
as clear as it could be. She is saying, or rather reminding us, that there
is a clear distinction to be made between form and meaning and that these
language models are trained only on form. Here is the abstract of her
academic paper in which she and her colleague mention the thought
experiment.

--
Abstract: The success of the large neural language mod-els on many NLP
tasks is exciting. However,we find that these successes sometimes lead to

the paper:
https://docslib.org/doc/6282568/climbing-towards-nlu-on-meaning-form-and-understanding-in-the-age-of-data-gts