[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 02:47:39 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 7:35 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 6:18 PM Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <
>
>> I think it was Adrian who asked you that question. A referent as I use
>> the term is something that exists outside of language to which a word
>> refers. You have an apple in your hand and you say "this is an apple." The
>> apple in your hand is the referent that corresponds to your word "apple."
>>
>> As for whether referents are data, it is unclear to me how referents
>> could be data. I am inclined to say no but I am not sure what Adrain is
>> getting at here.
>>

> Ah, I thought you meant that the referent was the *fact that* that was an
> apple, rather than the referent being the apple itself.  Facts are data;
> objects (such as apples) are not.

I wouldn't say that referents are necessarily physical objects, however.
They are simply whatever the word is pointing to outside of language, which
could be an idea or abstract concept to which we assign a label in order to
verbalize it.

Giovanni, from your other post, it is not it is not at all clear to me that
the language of mathematics has no referents. ChatGPT explained that is not
the case when you asked it, but nevermind what it says. I think a sentence
like 1+1=2 refers to a mathematical truth that exists separate from the
numerical expression of it.  The expression is the "word" or "sentence" and
abstract mathematical truth is the referent.

-gts