[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 04:13:44 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 9:37 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> There's no way to read this paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/2303.12712.pdf
> and come away with the impression that GPT-4 has no idea what it is talking
> about.

Hmm, nothing in the abstract even remotely suggests to me that GPT-4 will
know word meanings any more than does GPT-3. Eventually AI on digital
computers will far surpass human intelligence, but even then these
computers will be manipulating the forms of words and not their meanings.

Do you believe, like my friend who fell in love with a chatbot, that a
software application can have genuine feelings of love for you?

-gts