[ExI] LLM's cannot be concious

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 04:26:52 UTC 2023

On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 9:53 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

Do you think a powerful "raw intelligence", which operated without any data
> or information from or about our universe, come to discover, learn, and
> understand the same mathematical truths that have come to know?

Depends on what you mean by "understand." I think my pocket calculator
"understands" how to calculate, but it has no conscious understanding of
the calculations. It makes no difference in my view how powerful the
calculator might be. Processing through the formal rules of mathematics, it
could conceivably "discover" a new mathematical truth, but it would have no
way to actually know it consciously. It's just a mindless calculator, a
tool. It knows 1+1=2 the same way my watch knows the time, which is to say,
not at all.

-gts