[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 09:40:27 UTC 2023

Very well put Stuart, I would argue that the true meaning is in the
relation between the words, that the words relating to something
external to language. This why one could completely understand a language
without ever having experienced an external referent. All that matters are
the relationships. As in the case of building mathematics from the nulls
set you could do that with any language. But most languages don't need even
to be built from scratch because they are already there. So for an alien or
ChatGPT (that is basically an alien) it is even simpler to derive an entire
universe of meaning only by studying patterns between already existing
words. This how NLM have derived grammar from these patterns and theory of
mind. I'm not sure why anybody would still insist on these capabilities of
NLM is not true understanding (one can argue on the level of understanding
but my experience is that for what concerns language comprehension NLM are
better than many humans).

On Fri, Mar 24, 2023 at 1:12 AM Stuart LaForge via extropy-chat <