[ExI] Bender's Octopus (re: LLMs like ChatGPT)

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 21:13:24 UTC 2023

This view is so queer that metaphysicians have invented all sorts of
theories designed to substitute something less incredible.”

-- Bertrand Russell in “An Outline of Philosophy
<https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.222952/page/n157/mode/2up?q=%22We+suppose+that+a+physical+process+starts+from+a+visible+object%22>”
(1927)

Jason,
yes great quotes on the topic and very consistent among scientific great
minds over the centuries. It is clear to a scientific mind what this is all
about but the metaphysicians still like to make it confusing because their
position in the end is basically a religious one (the main goal is to show
humans are special and made in God's image, whatever that means).