[ExI] Emily M. Bender — Language Models and Linguistics (video interview)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Mar 26 07:36:29 UTC 2023

Jason Resch wrote:

> *3. She was asked what a machine would have to do to convince her they
> have understanding. Her example was that if Siri or Alexa were asked
> to do something in the real world, like turn on the lights, and if it
> does that, then it has understanding (by virtue of having done
> something in the real world).*

Wait a minute. So she thinks that smart home systems have understanding
of what they're doing, but LLMs don't? I wonder how many Siris and
Alexas are the voice interface for smart home systems? A lot, I expect.

If she's right (which she's not, seems to be the consensus here), then
all that needs to be done is link up a LLM to some smart home hardware,
and 'ta-daaaa', instant understanding!

I don't buy it.

Ben