[ExI] Language models are like mirrors

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:50:52 UTC 2023

The mirror test is one of the tests for self-awareness. When we humans look
into the mirror, we usually realize quickly that we are seeing images of
ourselves. Only about eight species can recognize themselves in a mirror,
most of them higher primates like us.

My cat is not a higher primate. She thinks her reflection in the mirror is
another cat. That other cat freaks her out.

I've heard it said, and I agree, that LLMs like ChatGPT are like mirrors.
We are looking into the mirror, seeing reflections of ourselves as human
thinkers and writers. Some of us think we are seeing other cats.

-gts