[ExI] The Automathician

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Mar 27 22:42:52 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] The Automathician

>…Why cheat?  Why did the AI invent studies when it could have used real ones?  bill w

It requires no bandwidth to create lookalike references.

There is another, possibly more worrisome possibility: the AI could write whatever it wanted, quote a bunch of sources that it also created.  The referenced sources could reference the same sources the AI created.  An AI could create 15 papers, all of which reference each other.  None of these would then really be “phony” exactly, for the AI could produce all 15 sources, regardless of which one of the 15 one chose.

It leads to the question of what it means to be published.  Published by who or what?  Can an AI publish its own paper by just having it available in its own memory where anyone can reference it?  We could end up with reams of research papers generated by AI where it is difficult to distinguish from human-generated I.

Oh it is sooooo damn cool to be alive today watching all this unfold.  Thank you evolution, we bless thee and praise thee, thou completely natural process.