[ExI] Emily M. Bender — Language Models and Linguistics (video interview)

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 02:46:31 UTC 2023

"Can ChatGPT solve the symbol grounding problem for itself?"

"As an AI language model, I do not possess the ability to solve the symbol
grounding problem for myself, nor do I have a physical body or sensory
experience to ground symbols in the physical world. While I can generate
text based on patterns and associations learned from large datasets of
language, I do not have subjective experiences or understanding of the
meaning of the symbols I generate. My responses are based on statistical
patterns and rules that I have learned through my training data, rather
than a deep understanding of the meaning and context of the words and
concepts that I use."

-gts