[ExI] brits on covid

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 28 03:31:23 UTC 2023

The Lancet has produced a study comparing covid results as a function of
state:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)00461-0/f
ulltext

This is one I have long been looking for.  I trust the Brits with this sorta
thing because they have no political dog in the fight and the Lancet is
careful about what it publishes.

In the map below, they corrected for age demographics, as this is a
well-known factor, the dominant factor in the outcome of covid cases.

Do feel free to comment, but one of the things I find striking is that the
states with high infection rates are not necessarily the ones with the high
death rates.  I have people I care about the most on a personal level in
California, Florida, Washington, Kentucky and West Virginia, in that order.

For reasons I cannot even theorize adequately, California did pretty well in
infection rate but poorly in death rate.  Florida was the opposite.

The two states which had few if any restrictions are South Dakota and
Florida.  Both did poorly in infection rates but better than average in
survival rates.  The states with the most restrictions (most severe
lockdowns, longest school closures, most sincere mask mandates etc) are
California and New York.  The results of all that just puzzle me.