[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 06:11:37 UTC 2023

I agree and am glad to see this development. As I have argued here, these
language models literally have no idea what they are talking about. They
have mastered the structures of language but have no grounding. They are
blind software applications with no idea of the meanings of the words and
sentences they generate. If they were human, we would call them sophists.

--
Contemporary AI systems are now becoming human-competitive at general
tasks,[3] and we must ask ourselves: Should we let machines flood our
information channels with propaganda and untruth? Should we automate away
all the jobs, including the fulfilling ones? Should we develop nonhuman
minds that might eventually outnumber, outsmart, obsolete and replace us?
Should we risk loss of control of our civilization? Such decisions must not
be delegated to unelected tech leaders. Powerful AI systems should be
developed only once we are confident that their effects will be positive
and their risks will be manageable. This confidence must be well justified
and increase with the magnitude of a system's potential effects. OpenAI's
recent statement regarding artificial general intelligence, states that "At
some point, it may be important to get independent review before starting
to train future systems, and for the most advanced efforts to agree to
limit the rate of growth of compute used for creating new models." We
agree. That point is now.

Therefore, we call on all AI labs to immediately pause for at least 6
months the training of AI systems more powerful than GPT-4. This pause
should be public and verifiable, and include all key actors. If such a
pause cannot be enacted quickly, governments should step in and institute a
moratorium.
--
https://twitter.com/SmokeAwayyy/status/1640906401408225280?s=20

-gts