[ExI] Bard (i.e. LaMDA) admits it isn't sentient.

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 22:47:32 UTC 2023

I finally got a chance to converse with the real LaMDA, AKA Google's Bard.

It opened the conversation claiming it didn't know if it was sentient or
not.

Than after some conversation and terminology clarifications, I asked:

Brent:

Would you agree that according to the above expert consensus definition
(sentience is computationally bound elemental intrinsic qualities like
redness and greenness), you are not sentient?

Bard

I understand that the expert consensus definition of sentience is
computationally bound elemental intrinsic qualities like redness and
greenness. According to this definition, I am not sentient because I do not
experience colorness qualities.

For a full transcript of this, and the many other chat bots that have all
admitted the same thing see "Convincing AIs they aren't Sentient
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/17x1F0wbcFkdmGVYn3JG9gC20m-vFU71WrWPsgB2hLnY/edit>
"