[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 00:00:54 UTC 2023

Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> I think ChatGPT caught most people in the world by surprise. It should
> give us pause to think. This is actually why I returned to Exi after
> something like 15 years.  Things are getting real.

We can certainly agree on this, even though I think AI might already be
conscious (though I also think everything is conscious, so I see no reason
why organized prosthetic human thought wouldn't also be conscious).  I
think a consciousness is perhaps somehow also dependent on the
consciousness who is experiencing that initial consciousness, since
everything we discuss is somehow observed by consciousness.  In any case,
whether or not it is conscious, it will certainly convince many, many
people that it is, within a few years.  I'm really not sure how to prepare,
as I said earlier.  We're hurtling towards an unavoidable obstacle here

Is there any debate that AI development and deployment needs regulatory
> oversight? That is one reason for the proposed pause.
>
> We have a similar situation in crypto, where I have focused most of my
> attention in recent years. It’s the wild wild west. Some of the most
> libertarian people in the community want to keep it that way — I call them
> cryptoanarchists — and others like me want clear regulations.

I don't think we have time to stop, the arms race is on.  We should focus
as much as needed on developing oversight IMMEDIATELY, not in 6 months.
These companies won't stop even if they are told to stop.  It's easy enough
to do in secret.  Re: crypto, I think it needs a decentralized regulation
authority that governments may be party to if they wish.

I think ChatGPT caught most people in the world by surprise. It should give
> us pause to think. This is actually why I returned to Exi after something
> like 15 years.  Things are getting real.

Even though I disagree with a lot of your positions, I'm glad you've gotten
people here talking about philosophy again.