[ExI] Emily M. Bender — Language Models and Linguistics (video interview)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 30 05:41:07 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat

>…At the very least I think we can't say whether this is thought or not.  It's just too weird… Will

Ja.  The corner of this space I have been exploring is if this language model works sufficiently well, it wouldn’t really matter that much if it understands what it is saying.  The outcome is that we as a species accept it as human level intelligence.  Then we use it as a consultant on everything.  Then we trust whatever it says because it seems to know everything about everything.  Of course that is filled with hazards.

Regarding Eliezer’s take: there is no stopping this by any reasonable means.  Musk has hired a team to create a competing ChatGPT, and if he did, you can be sure others financially capable have done likewise.  The US military and every nation on the planet which can afford it has likely brought together teams to make something analogous to GPT for their own purposes.

ChatGPT is a language model entirely based on English.  The Chinese will want this, the European nations will want a model based on their languages.  There is no stopping this.