[ExI] gordon's favorite martian was RE: Bard (i.e. LaMDA) admits it isn't sentient.

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 30 14:36:38 UTC 2023

An offlister asked me if ChatGPT can check one’s math homework as well as their writing.  It can, of course, which leads to the question of what the student has actually learned.  I opined thus:

Only lesson is in how to use the AI.

We are struggling with the realization that the question of whether GPT “understands” anything is irrelevant in many areas, such as education.  It does a marvelous imitation of understanding, which is really all that young humans are doing and what we teach them in school.

Where we are now in society is a battle for the heart and soul of AI.  The researchers want the chat bots to have opinions, and to be politically aligned with their creators, which is what human parents hope to achieve with their own children.