[ExI] gordon's favorite martian was RE: Bard (i.e. LaMDA) admits it isn't sentient.

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Mar 30 18:24:20 UTC 2023

From: Gordon Swobe <gordon.swobe at gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, 30 March, 2023 11:12 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: spike at rainier66.com
Subject: Re: [ExI] gordon's favorite martian was RE: Bard (i.e. LaMDA) admits it isn't sentient.

Gordon with that last sentence, you indicate that you are one of us seniors.

>…Recently, someone on twitter wrote mistakenly that humans first landed on the moon 70 years ago. “I watched it live on a little black and white TV as a young person” I replied. “If that was 70 years ago then had better get my affairs in order.”

-gts

I watched that too, also on a tiny black and white TV.  We heard Armstrong say what sounded like: That’s one small step for man… brrup dreepp jeept gorrupt {sratch}…

We all thought he was downplaying that techno-stunt, what an enormous leap that was for man.  I wondered at the time: Sheeeesh!  Whadda we need to do to impress this guy?

Dang remarkable that we were able to do that over 50 years ago however.