[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 09:12:24 UTC 2023

Adrian,
Right, everything, even crossing the street has existential risk.
The AI doomers would say, but this is different from everything else
because.... it is like God.
There is some religious overtone in their arguments. This superintelligence
can do everything, it can be everything, it cannot be contained, it cannot
be understood and if it can get rid of humans it will.
In their views AI is basically like God but while the ancient religions
made God also somehow benign (in a perverted way), this
superintelligent God AI is super focused in killing everybody.

Their arguments seem logical but they are actually not. We already have bad
agents in the world and they already have powers that are superior to that
of a particular individual or groups of individuals.  For example, nations.
Take Russia, or North Korea. Russia could destroy humanity or do
irreparable damage. Why doesn't it happen? Mutual Destruction is part of
the reason. Same would apply to a rogue AI.

We know how to handle viruses both biological and digital. We do have to be
aware and vigilant but I'm pretty sure we can handle problems as they
present themselves. It would be nice to prepare for every possible
existential threat but we also did well overall as a species to face the
problems when they presented themselves because no matter how well we can
prepare, the real problem is never exactly how models predicted. We are
good at adapting and surviving.  One thing is to warn of the possible
dangers, another this relentless and exaggerated doom sayers cries.
Giovanni

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 9:27 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <