[ExI] The case for how and why AI might kill us all

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 10:28:30 UTC 2023

The case for how and why AI might kill us all
By Loz Blain    March 31, 2023

<https://newatlas.com/technology/ai-danger-kill-everyone/>
Quotes:
This is not the first time humanity has stared down the possibility of
extinction due to its technological creations. But the threat of AI is
very different from the nuclear weapons we've learned to live with.
Nukes can't think. They can't lie, deceive or manipulate. They can't
plan and execute. Somebody has to push the big red button.
----------
Sam Altman forecasts that within a few years, there will be a wide
range of different AI models propagating and leapfrogging each other
all around the world, each with its own smarts and capabilities, and
each trained to fit a different moral code and viewpoint by companies
racing to get product out of the door. If only one out of thousands of
these systems goes rogue for any reason, well... Good luck. "The only
way I know how to solve a problem like this is iterating our way
through it, learning early and limiting the number of
'one-shot-to-get-it-right scenarios' that we have," said Altman.
------------
Yudkowski believes even attempting this is tantamount to a suicide
attempt aimed at all known biological life. "Many researchers steeped
in these issues, including myself, expect that the most likely result
of building a superhumanly smart AI, under anything remotely like the
current circumstances, is that literally everyone on Earth will die.,"
he wrote. "Not as in 'maybe possibly some remote chance,' but as in
'that is the obvious thing that would happen.'

So Altman thinks the world might end up with hundreds of competing
AIs, all with different value systems and running under different
legal systems. That sounds like out-of-control chaos to me. Until one
AI system comes out on top and closes all the weaker systems down.
Will the winner look after humans though?

BillK