[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Mar 31 14:38:06 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
Subject: RE: [ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open
letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

…> On Behalf Of Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat

### I remember Eliezer being quite libertarian back in the day and now he
wants the World Government to bomb any independent locus of thought to
smithereens. People change….Rafal

>…"I think it's important that the government regulate these platforms.
That's one of the major functions of the federal government, to help protect
consumers and data and privacy of our citizens."  Rep Maxwell Frost

>…Rep. Maxwell Frost said it's important that the government regulate
artificial intelligence platforms, though he also acknowledged he's not
"super briefed" on the platforms…

Heh.  Ja.

Some of the comments coming out of the US congress are comical in what they
don’t say.  I have read a few of these but haven’t really found one which
points out the perfectly obvious: the US congress has no legal authority to
regulate AI.  There is no legal means of calling in airstrikes on data
centers and no military officers willing to do so illegally.

The government can regulate plutonium but cannot regulate people designing
nuclear weapons.  It can only regulate plutonium.  Likewise, governments
cannot stop people from developing AI, for there is no element which can be
practically controlled.

Regarding Eliezer’s comment on regulating GPUs, that sheds new light on
China’s push to take over Taiwan, does it not?