[ExI] Yudkowsky in Time on AI Open Letter.

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 19:49:02 UTC 2023

We are in a narrow window now where any regulations surrounding AI in
general and LLMs specifically are still enforceable by police and military
force. LLMS need large datacenters full of GPUs. The manufacture, sale, and
distribution of these pallets of GPUs can be monitored, tracked, and if
necessary interdicted. Datacenters require human employees, construction
workers, functioning power grids, etc.  Even without airstrikes by
international coalitions, these can be monitored, controlled, regulated, or
disrupted.

10 years from now, when you can cram a large language model into 5 or 6
fully tricked out Mac Pros in the basement of an office building, or 5
years later, when you can cram one into a midline home office workstation,
the genie will be well and truly out of the bottle.

Remember in the late 90's, when an Act of Congress made implementation of
the DeCSS algorithm illegal, and the next day every hacker in Western
Civilization owned a tshirt with the ~2 dozen lines of source code on it?
That is the future of AI regulation.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 9:40 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <