[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Fri Mar 31 20:36:12 UTC 2023

Quoting Darin Sunley via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>:

> Eliezer's position is extreme - and his rhetoric regarding nuclear
> exchanges may be an intentionally rhetorically extreme reductio - but it is
> not absurd.

After watching his entire 3-hr interview with Lex Fridman which was
admittedly somewhat painful, I have come to to the conclusion that
while not absurd, Eliezer's position is not as rational as he would
like to believe. For one thing, I could clearly tell he was terrified
by AI. To some degree I can empathize with him.

Eliezer spent most of his life thinking that he was the smartest
person in the room. For Eliezer, intelligence is the definitive
measure of a being's power and worth. Moreover, in his younger years,
he was incredibly rude to and dismissive of those he thought were less
intelligent than he was. Is it really any wonder now that AIs might
become smarter than he is, that he is terrified of them?

But really it is only his ego at play, because unlike Eliezer,
billions of people have to deal with others that are smarter than they
are on a daily basis. Eliezer by his own admission does not understand
  how the transformer models work, and because he has spent most of
his life not being understood by the vast majority of people around
him, he therefore projects his own contempt for lesser being onto
them. No wonder AI terrifies him. However, basing his call to action
on terror, which only allows for fight, flight, or freeze is
definitely not rational.

> A unaligned superintelligent AGI with access to the internet and the
> capability to develop and use Drexlerian nanotech can trivially
> deconstruct the planet. [Yes, all the way down to and past the extremophile
> bacteria 10 miles down in the planetary crust.] This is a simple and
> obvious truth. This conclusion /is/ vulnerable to attack at its constituent
> points - superintelligence may very well be impossible, unaligned
> superintelligences may be impossible, Drexlerian nanotech may be
> impossible, etc. But Eliezer's position is objectively not false, given
> Eliezer's premises.

Yes an unopposed unaligned AGI could use Drexlerian nanotech to do
that. That's why we need more than a single monolithic AGI so that
they can operate as checks and balances against one another. So when
one of them tries to use Drexlerian nanotech to dismantle the earth,
another can create a nanotech counter-measure like Drexlarien
antibodies to latch onto and disable the molecular disassemblers.

> As such, the overwhelming number of voices in the resulting twitter
> discourse are just mouth noises - monkeys trying to shame a fellow monkey
> for making a [to them] unjustified grab for social status by "advocating
> violence". They aren't even engaging with the underlying logic. I'm not
> certain if they're capable of doing so.

His underlying logic is based on the premise of fear of an unknown
quantity. In the podcast he said that no possible utility function
would allow for the survival of the human race. That is patently
absurd. Even if the only utility function of an AI is to generate
wealth for its company, then it will understand that the survival of
customers and clients are necessary for its utility function to be
maximized.

When Lex asked him for possible solutions to either the interpretation
problem or the alignment problem, he drew a blank and admitted he had
no idea. But when the conversation turned to throwing billions of
dollars into alignment research, he tried to become a gatekeeper for
AI funding. He literally said that billionaires like Musk should
consult with HIM before funding anybody else's research or ideas on
alignment. If that is not a good old-fashioned primate power-grab,
then what is?

Moreover, in the podcast, he explicitly disavowed transhumanism so
perhaps it is time that transhumanism disavowed him.

Stuart LaForge